Thursday, August 25, 2016

All the light we cannot see

I hope you will enjoy the next few reviews ;)

The "All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr" book review



Marie-Laure lives with her father in Paris near the Museum of Natural History, where he works as the master of its thousands of locks. When she is six, Marie-Laure goes blind and her father builds a perfect miniature of their neighborhood so she can memorize it by touch and navigate her way home. When she is twelve, the Nazis occupy Paris and father and daughter flee to the walled citadel of Saint-Malo, where Marie-Laure’s reclusive great-uncle lives in a tall house by the sea. With them they carry what might be the museum’s most valuable and dangerous jewel.
In a mining town in Germany, the orphan Werner grows up with his younger sister, enchanted by a crude radio they find. Werner becomes an expert at building and fixing these crucial new instruments, a talent that wins him a place at a brutal academy for Hitler Youth, then a special assignment to track the resistance. More and more aware of the human cost of his intelligence, Werner travels through the heart of the war and, finally, into Saint-Malo, where his story and Marie-Laure’s converge.
................................................................................................................
This is the second book, that I've read this summer that had the perspective of the French in World War II. I liked that very much, but overall it was pretty hard in the beginning to continue reading this book. More than once I wanted to put it down and I had to force myself to keep reading. This was proven to be a good choice because after a few chapters I started enjoying the story. 
If you start reading this you have to know, that this is not a book you can read in a day. It requires your attention and you have to understand it.

I liked the way the chapters were sectioned. They were usually about three to four pages long. The chapters were in a section and this section was titled with a date. So the story kept going on between past and present and as the story continued, past and present started to combine.
At the beginning there was the point of view of Marie-Laure and Werner, but it was told in a third person narration. But as the story continued more perspectives joined the story.
I'm not going to say too much about the plot. If I would, this will be a very long review. But at first there are these two seperate worlds of Marie-Laure and Werner. Marie-Laure is blind and lives with her dad. She loves reading and she is very interested in the sea world. Werner is an orphan boy that lives in an orphanage with his sister.He is very talented in repairing electronic devices and he is very skilled in math and physics. It actually takes forever till both Werner and Marie meet in person. And it's pretty much at the end of the book, but they have met each other before, they just don't know it yet. In the end Werner  rescues Marie from a man, that wanted something that her father had been hiding for a long time. And when he rescuses her you think, that they will have a happy ending just because they would be such a cute couple and also because you have waited so long for something to happen between these two. But NOOO this book has a very sad ending. I couldn't  cry. Even my tears were shocked.....Ok, besides the ending I liked the book. It was interesting, educational and good to read but I have to say that I had pretty high expectations when I started reading this story. Booktube, bookinstagram and goodreads have been  buzzing about this book for so long and I thought it would be a very good read, if everybody made such a big fuzz about it. I was a bit disappointed. This is still a good book, but as I mentioned earlier it was hard to continue reading sometimes. I liked the storyline and I liked the characters. War makes a person do things they don't usually do in real life and even if some of the characters changed and did pretty stupid things, I still liked them , because I imagined how they would be like in a world without war.

3.5 out of 5 cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment