Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The Lavender Garden

Next review... I hope you enjoy ;)


The "Lavender Garden by Lucinda Riley" book review

La Côte d’Azur, 1998: In the sun-dappled south of France, Emilie de la Martinières, the last of her gilded line, inherits her childhood home, a magnificent château and vineyard. With the property comes a mountain of debt—and almost as many questions . . .
Paris, 1944: A bright, young British office clerk, Constance Carruthers, is sent undercover to Paris to be part of Churchill’s Special Operations Executive during the climax of the Nazi occupation. Separated from her contacts in the Resistance, she soon stumbles into the heart of a prominent family who regularly entertain elite members of the German military even as they plot to liberate France. But in a city rife with collaborators and rebels, Constance’s most difficult decision may be determining whom to trust with her heart.
As Emilie discovers what really happened to her family during the war and finds a connection to Constance much closer than she suspects, the château itself may provide the clues that unlock the mysteries of her past, present, and future.
 
.............................................................................................................................................................................
I have read one Lucinda Riley book before. It was the girl on the cliff. I love that book and I still read it occasionally. I was really excited to read another one of her books, because boy can she write........ If you have never read a book by her you are seriously missing out on a spa day for your soul. I normally don't relax when I read books. I'm so engrossed in the story that I forget to eat, sleep or do all the other things a normal human being would do. I couldn't put this book down neither but Lucinda Riley's stories are sooo relaxing and soothing. These are the kinds of stories that make you want to travel. 
They are always told in a place that is soo beautifully described that you just want to buy a ticket and fly over there.
I'm not trying to give away too much of the plot. But as you might have read above: Emilie de la Martinières is the last heir of her bloodline. After the death of her mother she has to take care of everything and she is quite overwhelmed.  A stranger comes into her life and helps her get through everything. His name is Sebastian. You kind of don't trust him and I was so mad at Emilie that she did....I don't know since Cassandra Clare created "Sebastian" I don't trust people with that name...JK ;)
Ok so he helped her and they start getting closer and then they marry and Emilie moves into Sebastian's house in England. But while she lives there she meets his brother Alex who is disabled and who has been harassed by his brother ever since he was a little boy. 
Emilie slowly gets to know more about Sebastian and about his grand-mother Constance who accidently came into the De la Martinières family. I love the way that Lucinda Riley can start with two totally different stories of people both in completely different times and as the story continues she combines them so that  they make sense. I also liked that the story in the past evolves around the second world war. I really like historical fiction and I have read a lot about the first and second world war and it was interesting to read it from a different pont of view!!!
Read this book you will not regret it!
4.5 out of 5 cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment